One idiot on idiot box

Posted by Muthu on February 24, 2016

In 2012, I wrote about a 32 minute movie produced by IDFC foundation called ‘One Idiot’.

This is what I wrote:

“Do you remember Amole Gupte?

He is the creative director and writer of ‘Taare Zameen Par’ (TZP). He is originally the director of the movie and it’s said that Aamir Khan later put his name as ‘Director’ and made Amol as ‘Creative Director’. You can Google and see the details. Amol’s version is more convincing to me. Though Aamir is an excellent artist, I feel he is manipulative, chest beating and always project one man ship, even though a movie is a very big team work.

Remember Amair not giving credit to ‘Chetan Bhagat’ for story line of 3 idiots? All is not well:-)

Amol Gupte also proved himself very well in his second film ‘Stanley ka Dabba’. This movie convinced that TZP would have been his baby and not Aamir’s.

Well why I’m saying these? Amole Gupte has directed a film called ‘One Idiot’. This is produced by IDFC Foundation, a not for profit organization. This movie would not be commercially screened but would be screened in colleges across 30 cities, some time early next year.

I had the opportunity to see this 32 minute film. This is purely meant for young adults or college goers about managing money. Amole says “There was this man in our neighborhood in ankle-length trousers, torn hawaii chappals who would pass by every day carrying a green plastic jhola. We all used to think he was a clown. But finally he turned out to be the owner of a 5-crore rupee accumulated savings which he used to give his three daughters the best education possible.

We pointlessly give too much attention to consumerism. We spend needlessly to look more affluent than we are. If we are caught saving we are somehow not part of the ‘in’ crowd. My film is a morality tale based on the 5,000-year old principle of ‘jitni chaadar utni pair phelana’ (stretch your legs only as much as the blanket allows). Somewhere we squander money for the sake of being trendy.

It’s a film on the theme of financial management. When we are young, we know nothing about how to manage our money, and when we see people who are careful with their money, we laugh at them.”

It is not a documentary film. I found it humorous and interesting. Even there are songs! For a 30 minute film, it has enough substance and conveys well the importance of saving, investing, not being a hard core worshipper of consumption, not having debt, asset allocation, couple of Warren Buffett sayings, how people who look rich need not be rich etc. I enjoyed the movie.

The ‘idiot’ wears a T-Shirt containing words ‘Success means never having to wear a suit’. I loved it because I hate wearing suits and ties:-)The maximum ‘formal’ I would prefer is a full sleeve shirt tucked inside the pant with a decent shoe. If you’ve seen me, I normally don’t even tuck the shirt and reserves it for occasions:-)”

This movie, One idiot would be telecasted in CNN-IBN coming Saturday, 27th February at 5pm.

For those of you, who are not free this Saturday, can watch the repeat telecast on Sunday, 6th March at 4pm in the same CNN-IBN.

My request: Please do watch and share your feedback.

4 Responses to “One idiot on idiot box”

1. Vipin Negi said

Thanks Muthu sir.

The movies ‘One Idiot’ is also easily available online on youtube and is really thought provoking and have all the basic (no brainer) lessons for investing and living a financially independent life

2. rakesh ojha said

3. Siddhartha Mukherjee said

Thank you, Muthu.

As always your suggestions and articles are worth reading. As per your advise, I searched for the movie ‘One Idiot’ on YouTube and watched it.

It is indeed inspiring with little bit of humour. For those who wants to watch it online, here is the link:

4. Ramcharan said

The young earners should watch the movie